Tuesday, January 9, 2007

credit card over im

"Would you mind reviewing the information that I have entered?"


He turned the monitor towards me. I expected to see a Point-Of-Sale
screen. I expected to see a nice piece of software for managing the store.


Instead I saw the familiar window of an AOL Instant Message. My heart
sank. Did he really just send my name, address, phone number, credit card
and expiration date UNENCRYPTED through an INSTANT MESSAGE SESSION?


"Does it look right?"


"My information looks fine! I just can't..."


At that moment, a reply popped up on the next line...


"It's good."



holy cow! this dude had his credit card stuff sent over the net UNENCRYPTED!

this is a very bad example of protecting your number!



http://www.davidj.org/stories/222/Credit_Card_Information_Sent_Over_AOL_Instant_Messenger.html


1 comment:

awesomelyplain said...

i woulda freaked!! always gotta be cautious on the web w personal info, especially banking stuff.. good post!